Useful stuff to help you win work and think more deeply about writing and freelancing.
- The Professional Freelancer
- Freelancing with Tim
- Opportunities of the Week
- Freelance Writing Jobs
- Counterflows (my newsletter)
Places to connect with fellow freelancers.
- London Writers' Salon (hosts of virtual writing hour on weekday mornings and loads of great events)
- Society of Freelance Journalists (Slack group of freelance journalists)
- Hoxby (network/community with work opps; by application only – they'll ask you to work on something small for free if accepted)
- TechJPR (Facebook group of tech PRs and journalists)
- Binders (secret Facebook group; women and some LGBTQ+ only; email me for an invite)
- Leapers (Slack community of freelancers)
- Bureau Local (investigative journalism network in UK)
- Freelance Heros (Facebook group of freelancers)
- Doing It For The Kids (Facebook group of self-employed parents)
- The Freelance Lifestylers (Facebook group of freelancers)
- No 1 Freelance Media Women (Facebook group of female freelancers from across the media)
- Reddit’s freelancing subreddit (for anonymous messageboard-style chatter)
- Study Hall (digital network for media industry freelancers; mostly US-focused)
Follow some of freelance writing’s community leaders.
Learn from the experience of others through audio.
Gig platforms where you can win work.
Tools to help you work better and faster.
Fresh thinking about the craft and career of writing.
- The Ultimate Guide To Writing Online by David Perell
- 1,000 True Fans? Try 100 by Li Jin
- The Knowledge Economy After Covid-19 (RSA Blog) by Lauren Razavi
- How To Grow A Resilient Business As A Freelancer (Webinar Notes) by Lauren Razavi
- How to stop pitching ideas and start pitching stories by Tim Herrera
- The Freelancer’s Emotional SOS Kit by Anna Codrea-Rado
Recommended reading, so you’re up to speed.
- Company of One by Paul Jarvis
- The Pajama Myth: The Freelance Writer’s Survival Guide by Sian Meades
- You're the Business: You're the Business: How to Build a Successful Career When You Strike Out Alone by Anna Codrea-Rado (published March 2021)
- The Science of Storytelling by Will Storr
- Creativity and Feature Writing by Ellie Levenson
- Atomic Habits by James Clear
These resources will help you structure your writing week.
- Zoom writing sprints on weekday mornings (UK, US East Coast and US West Coast hours)
☕ If you found this resource useful, buy me a virtual coffee to say thanks and help me share more like this in future.
💌 Want to stay in touch? Sign up for my newsletter about the future of work, global living and creativity.